On March 4, 2010, the Commission did not renew the license of Southeast Iowa Regional Riverboat Commission/Catfish Bend Casinos II license to operate in Fort Madison due to inactivity.
On May 13, 2010, the Commission took action on new excursion gambling boat applications.
The Commission granted a license to the following applicant:
- Lyon County Resort & Casino, LLC/Lyon County Riverboat Foundation, Inc.
The Commission denied a license to the following applicants:
- Webster County Gaming, LLC/Heart of Iowa Foundation (Fort Dodge)
- Ingenus of Iowa, LLC/River Hills Riverboat Authority (Ottumwa)
- Signature Management Group of Iowa, LLC/Tama County Community Enrichment, Inc. (Tama)
Legislation enacted during 2011 Legislative Session:
- Allowed advance deposit wagering
- Set the purse structure for all horse racing so that seventy-six percent is designated for thoroughbred racing, fifteen and one-quarter percent is designated for quarter horse racing and eight and three-quarter percent is designated for standardbred racing.
- Allowed only quarter horse and thoroughbred racing to be conducted at the horse racetrack located in Polk county (67 day thoroughbred meet and 26 day quarter horse meet).
- Removed the requirement for a referendum every eight years in order to operate gambling games if a proposition to operate gambling games is approved by a majority of the county electorate voting on the proposition in two successive elections.
- Required the commission to prepare a report for delivery to the general assembly no later than December 1, 2011, regarding the creation of a framework for the state regulation of intrastate internet poker.
On March 8, 2012, the Commission issues a license to Missouri River Historical Development/Belle of Sioux City, L.P. d/b/a Argosy Casino Sioux City conditioned upon the parties negotiating and submitting a new operating agreement by June 7, 2012. As there was no operating agreement by June 7, the license was not renewed. However, the facility continues doing business by operation of the law.
On March 8, 2012, the Commission approved a contract between Prairie Meadows Racetrack and Casino and ODS Technologies d/b/a TVG Network to operate Horse Race Advance Deposit Account Wagering Service.
On June 7, 2012, the Commission opened up the licensing process in Woodbury County to any potential operators and potential non-profits to apply for a license.
On September 27, 2012, the Commission approved the stock purchase of Peninsula Gaming, LLC by Boyd Gaming Corporation.
On November 15, 2012, the Commission approved the construction of converting the Harrahs facility into a Gambling Structure to open the summer of 2013.
An excursion boat gambling referendum was approved on March 5, 2013 for Linn County.
On April 18, 2013, the Commission granted a license to Missouri River Historical Development/Sioux City Entertainment, Inc. for a Gambling Structure in Sioux City.
An excursion boat gambling referendum was denied on May 7, 2013 for Warren County.
On June 6, 2013, the Commission denied a license to the following applicants:
- Belle of Sioux City, L.P./Greater Siouxland Improvement Association (Siouxland site)
- Belle of Sioux City, L.P./Greater Siouxland Improvement Association (Sioux City site)
- Warrior Entertainment, LLC/Siouxland Strong, Inc.
On June 6, 2013, the Commission approved the stock purchase of Ameristar by Pinnacle Entertainment Inc.
An excursion boat gambling referendum was approved on August 6, 2013 for Greene County.
On October 10, 2013, the Commission retained the services of Marquette Advisors and Union Gaming Analytics to conduct a market analysis on gaming in the state of Iowa. The analysis will focus on identifying underserved and currently serviced, but underperforming, markets statewide; and also include an assessment of any applications from Linn County or Greene county that may be submitted.
On November 21, 2013, the Commission retained the services of Strategic Economics Group and Spectrum Gaming Group to conduct a study on the socioeconomic impact of gambling on Iowans.
On January 9, 2014, the Commission approved the asset purchase of IOC Davenport, Inc. by Scott County Casino, LLC.
On April 16, 2014, the Commission denied, without prejudice, the application of Cedar Rapids Development Group, LLC and Linn County Gaming Association, Inc.
On April 16, 2014, the Commission denied the 2013-2014 license renewal application submitted by Belle of Sioux City, L.P., for the Argosy Casino. This action set in motion an end to operation of the Argosy Casino by operation of law. The conduct of gambling games at the Argosy Casino-Sioux City shall case on or before July 1, 2014. After all remedies had been exhausted, the facility closed on July 31, 2014.
Legislation enacted during the 2014 Legislative Session:
- Allowed Iowa West Racing Association and Dubuque Racing Association to maintain a license to conduct gambling games without the requirement of scheduling performances of live dog races.
- Allowed the Iowa Greyhound Association to apply for a pari-mutuel license to race greyhounds at Dubuque.
- Established the Iowa greyhound pari-mutuel racing fund under the control of the Commission.
On June 12, 2014, the Commission approved a license for Grow Greene County Gaming to conduct gambling games and Wild Rose Jefferson, LLC to operate the gambling structure.
On October 9, 2014, the Commission retained Spectrum Gaming Group pursuant to Iowa Code 99D.9B to assist the Commission in determining how the monies in the Iowa Greyhound Pari-Mutuel Racing Fund will be distributed.
On November 12, 2014, the Commission granted a pari-mutuel license to the Iowa Greyhound Association for greyhound racing in Dubuque.
On November 12, 2014, the Commission approved the request by the Dubuque Racing Association d/b/a as Mystique Casino to conduct gambling games at a gambling structure instead of a racetrack enclosure, effective January 1, 2015.
On March 5, 2015, the Commission distributed the purse escrow fund created in an arbitration decision issued in December 1995. The Commission divided the escrow fund one half for purses at Bluffs Run, distributed on a prorated basis based on past purse earning for the years 2011-2015 and one half to the Iowa Greyhound Association for purses.
On April 16, 2015, the Commission approved the request by Scott County Regional Authority to convert their license to authorize the conduct of gambling games at a gambling structure upon completion of land-based construction by IOC Bettendorf.
Legislation enacted during 2015 Legislative session:
- Required the Commission to conduct a study concerning the possible authorization of exchange wagering and prepare a report for delivery to the general assembly no later than December 1, 2015
On June 4, 2015, the Commission approved the request by Riverboat Development Authority to convert their license to authorize the conduct of gambling games at a gambling structure upon completion of land-based construction by Rhythm City Casino, LLC d/b/a Rhythm City Casino (RCC).
On September 24, 2015, the Commission approved a license for advanced deposit wagering for Game Play Network, Inc. conditioned upon any games offered by Game Play Network on the ADW platform be approved by Commission staff prior to implementing the game; and to approve the related ADW Operator Agreement between Game Play Network, Inc., Prairie Meadows Racetrack and Casino and the IHBPA.
On December 18, 2015, pursuant to Iowa Code 99D.9A, live greyhound racing ceased at Bluffs Run Greyhound Park in Council Bluffs.
Legislation enacted during 2016 Legislative session:
- Excluded certain promotional play receipts from the definition of adjusted gross receipts for purposes of the wagering tax on gambling games.
- If there is a new license issued, the license fee would only apply if the new license increases the number of licensed facilities in the applicable county.
January 14, 2016 the Commission approved Pinnacle’s sale of their real estate assets to Gaming and Leisure Properties, Inc and lease them back through a Master Lease. The transaction included the Ameristar property in Council Bluffs.
October 13, 2016 the Commission approved the Simulcast Wagering Agreement between the Iowa Greyhound Association and Wild Rose Clinton, LLC.
November 17, 2016 the Commission established February 13, 2017 as the deadline for applications for new gambling facilities in Linn County.
January 5, 2017 the Commission approved the stock purchase of HGI – Lakeside, LLC by Z Capital.
January 5, 2017 the Commission approved the management contract between IWRA d/b/a Horseshoe Casino/BRGP and William Hill Race and Sports Book for simulcasting.
March 7, 2017 the Commission approved the stock purchase of IOC Black Hawk County, Inc. and Isle of Capri Bettendorf, L.C. by Eldorado Resorts, Inc.
March 7, 2017 the Commission approved the stock purchase of Isle of Capri Marquette, Inc. by CQ Holding Company, Inc.
On April 7, 2017 IGA opened a simulcast facility at Wild Rose Casino & Resort Clinton.
April 13, 2017 the Commission retained the services of Marquette Advisors, Inc. and White Sand Gaming to conduct a study on the socioeconomic impact of gambling on Iowans. The analysis will focus on identifying underserved and currently serviced, but underperforming markets statewide; and also include an assessment of applications received for Linn County.
On April 27, 2017, American Wagering, Inc. d/b/a William Hill Race Book began simulcast operations at Horseshoe Council Bluffs as a manager.
June 15, 2017 the Commission approved Caesars Entertainment Operating Company sale of their real estate assets to VICI Properties, Inc., and lease them back through a Master Lease. The transaction included the Harrah’s and Horseshoe properties in Council Bluffs.
Legislation enacted during 2017 Legislative session:
- Reinstatement after five years for people that have voluntarily excluded themselves from gambling.
- Requires the Commission to determine the appropriate dosage amount for Phenylbutazone (Bute) in horse racing.
- Provides for the confidentially of certain records provided by gambling licensees.
November 16, 2017 the Commission denied, without prejudice, the applications of Cedar Rapids Development Group, LLC and Wild Rose Casino and Resort.
Legislation enacted during 2018 Legislative Session:
- Allows for an additional three-pound weight allowance beyond the stated condition of a race for Iowa-foaled horses in a non stakes race not limited to Iowa-foaled horses.
- Provides authority for testing of hair samples by the state lab on racing animals.
- Transferred the responsibility of the Self-Exclusion Program from Iowa Gaming Association to the Commission by January 1, 2019
In March, 2018 the Commission retained the services of Industrial Laboratories to test equine and greyhound samples for prohibited substances in the animal’s system. Industrial Laboratories is an RMTC certified laboratory.
On August 23, 2018, the Commission approved the stock purchase of Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc. (Ameristar Casino Council Bluffs, LLC) by Penn National Gaming Inc.
On October 4, 2018, the Commission approved the merger of Goldfinch Entertainment, LLLP (Wild Rose Jefferson, LLC) with Wild Rose Entertainment, LLLP (Wild Rose Emmetsburg, LLC and Wild Rose Clinton, LLC).
Legislation enacted during 2019 Legislative Session:
- Legislation signed authorizing sports betting and fantasy sports contests in the state under the regulation of the Racing and Gaming Commission.
- Changes were made to requirements for some qualifying sponsoring organizations including a residency requirement, adding non-voting ex offico board members, and allowing for distributions to any 501(c)19 organization.
- Changes were made to the facility audit requirement clarifying that for a licensed subsidiary of a parent company, an audit of the parent company meets the audit requirement.
August 6, 2019, Harveys BR Management Company, Inc. replaced William Hill as the on-site manager/operator of the simulcast facility at Horseshoe Casino.
August 15, 2019 retail sportsbooks and online wagering platforms began operating in Iowa.
October 25, 2019 fantasy sports contests began operating in Iowa.